Volunteer & Employment Opportunities
On-going Volunteer Positions:
The Artists’ Network depends upon the gracious help of volunteers for much of what we do and, like most artists’ run organizations we depend on our membership for this help. We have many exciting events coming up that would be made much easier if we had the help of some volunteers. This not only helps us do what we need to do in order to serve you better, but it also provides members with a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes here at the AN. As you know, one of the intentions of being a member here is the opportunity for networking and meeting other like-minded artists – volunteering is one way of achieving this goal.
We would like to put together a list of people who are willing to volunteer from time to time so that we can draw from this list if we need volunteers – don’t worry, nobody will force you if you are on the list, but it gives us a starting point for rounding up help. There are however many volunteer positions available.
Volunteer positions available and descriptions of responsibilities:
Networking Committee Member:
- Role: Assisting setting the calendar for the networking seminars and determining the educational needs of the membership. Facilitate roughly 3 seminars a year, taking the lead to organize the event and liaise with the required speaker and arrange for any equipment needed.
- Time commitment: A two hour meeting roughly ten times a year. Plus roughly three to five hours to organize individual sessions.
Riverdale Art Walk Committee:
- Role: Assisting the RAW Coordinator: Advertising and Promotion, Art in the Windows, Artist Placement, Artist Liaison, Administration. Help in determining the direction of the RAW and possible creative alternatives or additional programs.
- Time Commitment: 10 hours/week leading up to the event, 30 hours in the 3 weeks prior to the event.
- Part 1:
- develop a PR plan, based on an annual marketing calendar
- develop any generic tools that are identified as needed by initiatives (ie. HAG)
- act as a consultant on an as needed basis
- Part 2:
- be involved in direct PR of RAW and LAS, with a focus on generating media interest
- Time Commitment: More time upfront first 2-3 months, (say 10-15 hours a month) then part of committees for RAW and LAS
Graphic Designers X2
- Assist in development of marketing materials based on new brand, print-ready
- Assist in development of HAG materials (show postcards, signage, digital, etc)
- Assist in the development of event materials (posters, flyers, digital invites, etc)
- Time Commitment: 6 to 8 hours a month, perhaps a few more leading into events
- Role: Clean up and build files of members’ art for marketing, online catalogues, online bidding, etc
- Time Commitment: 6 hours a month, perhaps more leading into events
Copy writers X2
- develop marketing materials based on brand capsule
- develop ongoing website copy, and post to new site
- assist with members bulletins
- Time Commitment: 6 to 10 hours a month
Keynote (or PPT) Builder
- able to take existing template and customize for sponsor presentations
- build self-running presentation for art fairs, etc.
- Time Commitment: as needed.
- online research, sponsor information
- what's happening in the art world
- content development for website
- Time Commitment: 6 hours a month
- these are artists members who are willing to go out into the community to be spokespeople about the AN or as artists
- participate in sponsor events or "lunch and learns" for sponsor employees - Understanding Art 101, Collecting 101, Photography 101, Painting 101,etc
- Knowledgeable representatives in booths at RAW, QWAC, Outdoor Art, etc.
- introduce the Network and participating artists at HAG openings
- Time Commitment:
- learning and understanding the brand (own time)
- one off participation 2 or 3 times a year
- Co-ordinate and track who's been approached, who said yes, who said no, how much, etc.
- Someone that a person from other committees can call and say - "hey, so and so said were interested, or I'd like to approach the local TD Bank branch to sponsor the BowsArt show...". Taking a significant role in obtaining sponsorship.
- Time Commitment: insert
Hanging of shows
- Role: The person who fills this role will be responsible for:
- Helping to hang shows (once every 3 weeks).
- General organization as related to hanging of shows and the gallery (e.g. ensuring that hanging equipment is available and in good order).
- General maintenance of gallery.
- Time Commitment: This will be a 2 days per month position. (Hanging usually takes place on a Monday when the gallery is closed for business).
Membership Admin Assistant
- Maintain membership list and cross reference to web-page to ensure that members are uploaded onto website.
- Membership intake form - to ensure that welcome letter that is automatically generated when new members join, is sent out.
- Other tasks relating to membership as directed by the Executive Director or staff.
- Intake and renewals
- Time Commitment: This is a one day per week responsibility. (Hours: 12 - 5 p.m. Day is negotiable).
Marketing Admin Assistant
- Role: Keep track of Marketing Committee and their initiatives. This position will put to action on a practical level some of the initiatives as planned by the Marketing Committee.
- Time Commitment: This will be a two days per month position. (Hours: 12 - 5 p.m. Days will be negotiable).
- Marketing and Promotions Committee
- Hang Man Programming Committee
- Networking Committee
- Riverdale Art Walk Committee