- Longboat Alliance, Chris, 416-531-8058, 651 Queen St. E.
- You can get 5000 for $99 at GFX Inc.
- Artist's Statement
- CV (resume)
- Your own postcards
- Business cards - people seem to like to pick these up more than the larger show cards (see above for printers) and you can include your booth number on them
- Postcards - leave pace to insert addresses and/or "custom" information such as your booth number
- Sen out our/your postcards and evite to your mailing list
- Get a blank signup book to collect new addresses and emails for future use
- Try to make it attractive - include images, links to the show site and your show it - and make sure to proofread!!!
- Put columns in your guestbook - name, email, comments - so people know what you'd like them to include and where to put it
Spread the Word
- Link us on your website
- Carry our postcards everywhere
- Send out your own press release
- Tap into your peer groups: the gym, work, spouses, friends, church, book club
- Include a map/directions to your location on your website/emails/mail
- Research by talking to other artists & visiting galleries
- Make it appropriate to your work and the setting; consider a variety of price points for every pocket
- Bring a receipt book
- Bring red dots if delivering later - but be careful of editioned work as you may need to let people know additional copies are available
- Are taxes over or included?
- Do you do discounts on multiple sales?
- A useful reference for pricing your work is Artist Survival Skills - How to Make a Living As a Canadian Visual Artist by Chris Tyrell
- Plan your setup and test it out if you can - make sure everything is sturdy and secure
- Make sure your setup allows for a clear view from outside your tent and easy access
- Will coloured booth fabric enhance or detract from the display of your work?
- Are you interested in doing commissions?
- Know your story: 1 minute, 5-10 minutes
- Attitude - total optimism all the way!
- Decide on a courteous "out" for people who want to talk technique
- How will you handle people who want to photograph your work?
- People who want a deal/or to haggle over the price?
- How to handle (or choke) people who criticize your work...
- How to respond when people ask "What are you trying to say with your work?"
- Keep upbeat and attentive - leave the book/laptop/ipod/newspaper in the bag
- Tents - rain or shine event!
- Be aware of weather changes - wind, sun, etc.
- Bring materials to display work that is secure
- Backup pieces in case you make lots of sales
- Packaging in case collector wants to take piece home or arrange for delivery later
- Chairs, tables, hanging devices, signage (your name), pens
For those in Retail Locations
- Make close contact with your site host and make notes as to exactly where, how, and when you may hang your art
- You may want to sketch it out for each of you to understand
- Is there a chair you can sit on or do you need to bring your own?
- Is there anything special to know about your site?
- PLEASE return your site to its original condition
- PLEASE say thank you to your host at the end
Support and Comfort
- Consider having someone to sit with you
- Bring money for food and drink
- Hat, sun block, cell phone, water/snacks, and clothing for all weather
- 2 weeks prior, mail out postcards
- Make sure you indicate your site and location
- 1 week prior, send out evites
- Remind your guests that they can pick up a catalog in NOW Magazine
- Do you accept checks?
- VISA/MC (you may need to set this up earlier)
- Send evite again the Friday before the RAW
- Get a good night's sleep!
After the Show
- Send emails/mail to the people in your guestbook and thank them for attending - let them know what's coming up and any other pertinent information
- Take time to evaluate how it went and what you'd keep/improve for the next one
- Deliver your sold items prompty!
- Feel free to approach people - they are there to see your work but might not be comfortable starting a conversation
- Offer up some interesting info on your work: how you handle your medium, your inspiration, the location, future ideas, etc.
- Our visitors enjoy hearing from you on a personal level!